Retrobatch to the rescue!

Inspired by a conversation on Micro.blog with @jack, here’s the Retrobatch document I use when manually setting the date metadata from the filename, and adding a watermark:

Retrobatch screenshot

(The details in the sidebar are out-of-order; look at the nodes in the circles for the order they are executed.)

I use a similar document when doing it automatically, with the input coming from a Folder Action in the Finder. I can just capture a still from a camera watching the feral cats, chickens, etc, and it is saved in a folder that has a Folder Action script to open in Retrobatch, the metadata date is set from the filename, the watermark added, and saved to another folder, that then has another Folder Action workflow to import into Photos.

Here’s the Folder Action script to open the images in Retrobatch, then trash the originals:

Script

This is the Retrobatch document (again, the sidebar is out-of-order). It takes the input files from the folder (via the above script), sets the copyright notice in the IPTC metadata, sets the date metadata from the filename, adds the watermark text, and saves as a more efficient HEIC format (since the input is inefficient BMP images):

Convert to HEIC Retrobatch document

The processed images are saved to a new folder, which has it’s own Folder Action. Here’s the Folder Actions window in the Finder:

Folder Actions

The output Folder Action runs this workflow to import the images to Photos. It is supposed to also trash them, though that doesn’t work:

Workflow

 

Before Retrobatch, all that was a tedious process of looking at each image and manually adjusting the date by reading the datestamp in the image, and manually importing. Now, I just click one button, and all the rest happens like magic. A huge time-saver!

A more secure world

I’ve just added a SSL certificate to the yellowcottagehomestead.com site, like all the cool kids are doing nowadays (even though this blog doesn’t really need it, other than to avoid scary warnings by some dodgy browsers). Go secure!

Re-categorization

Site administrivia:

I’ve just edited the blog posts about building the chicken coop to only be in the building category, i.e. to remove the chicken category, so the latter now only includes posts with chickens in them.  I also added a chicken coop tag to those building ones.  That seems more useful.

I’m also thinking about changing the way I do posts, to use a caption below each photo, instead of a description beforehand.

Still getting set up

I’m still getting this blog set up. I’m not sure what content I’ll post here; ultimately I want to document things like building a new chicken coop, and post photos and videos of our chickens, and getting into beekeeping, and the various other activities around the homestead.

Today I tweeted some screenshots of the Linea app, showing my latest chicken coop sketches.

Here are the images from the tweet:

Fullsizeoutput 2b3cFullsizeoutput 2b3fFullsizeoutput 2b3dFullsizeoutput 2b3e