Yesterday I added irrigation for some of the new trees in the field. I didn’t have enough parts to do all of them, so will have to go to Home Depot sometime to complete that, but at least a bunch of them are now getting watered:
The corkscrew willow tree is putting on some leaves:
As is the tulip tree:
Irrigation for the leyland cypress additions:
And extended the irrigation to two of the new apple trees, but the new third row doesn’t have irrigation yet, since I didn’t have enough pipe:
Here’s one of the apple tree additions:
Blossoms on one of the new apple trees:
I also shoveled a bunch of bark onto the triangle area between the veggie garden, old chicken coop, and back lawn. This area used to be part of the lawn, so has just had dead grass for a couple of years, so good to finally get it barked:
Today we added a few more trees on the north border of our field.
Six new Leyland Cypress trees to replace existing ones that didn’t survive, and fill in some gaps:
Plus a couple of larger specimen trees:
A Tulip tree:
And a Dawn Redwood tree:
We also did some bondage and fencing on the weeping willow tree near the pond, that deer had pushed over:
Over the weekend I measured the heights of several of the trees we’ve planted over the past few years — something I started last year. It’s interesting to see how much each has grown over the year. Just looking at them, it doesn’t look like most of the trees have grown all that much, but comparing the actual heights, I realize that many have doubled in size in that time.
Here’s a picture of my spreadsheet:
Here are a few examples of the trees, in no particular order, starting with the Sweet Gum:
The “behind white gazebo fir”:
The field oak tree (“Thorin”), which is a cyborg:
The weeping willow:
The weeping cherry:
The field Leyland NW:
The coral bark maple:
A dogwood by the pool (which has been put away for the winter):
A row of leyland cypresses in the field:
Elk are magestic beasts, fun to look at… but they are also (literally) big menaces, particularly frustrated males.
Recently we found some of our apple trees damaged by elk rubbing on them:
And not satisfied with that, last night one broke our new oak tree in the field:
Since it wasn’t completely broken, I thought I’d try repairing it. No guarantees it’ll recover, but it’s worth trying. Several sites recommended putting bolts through the trunk, and using caulk to seal up the breaks, so that’s what I did:
I also added a bit of fencing around it, to make it harder to get to, though it won’t slow down the elk much:
Hopefully it’ll recover!
Oh, and I also saw a coyote in the field:
Much as I’d like to be working on the coop, to get it ready for occupation, it’s a hot day with no sign of rain for a while, so I thought I’d better add irrigation for some new trees around the property. Meanwhile, Jenn started painting the siding; more on that probably tomorrow.
Irrigation pipe inside PVC pipe as conduit under the path.
The “dessert” apple trees (as opposed to cider apples); the one in the foreground is a McIntosh variety that was planted earlier this year, now with irrigation.
Two dogwood trees and dogwood shrubs around the pool area, now irrigated.
Irrigation for a couple of the new cider apple trees.
And a couple more.
A branch off the row of apple trees out to the new oak tree in the field, again buried in conduit. Nothing like digging a ditch in 90°F heat.
Irrigation for the oak tree.