We started keeping bees last year, with two hives. Those hives have survived the winter, and should be able to provide some honey this year. We don’t harvest honey the first year, as they need to build up the colony, and have reserves to take them through the cold months when they can’t forage.
Anyway, we have now added two more hives.
Then this morning we drove out to Ruhl Bee Supply in Wilsonville to pick up two nucs — nucleus hives that each contain four frames of small established colonies:
Once home, we took our new hive boxes etc out to our apiary (bee yard):
Jenn then started transferring the nuc frames into the boxes:
Inspecting each frame:
A full brood box: four nuc frames in the middle, two empty frames on either side for them to expand into:
Some bees left in the nuc box, which we tipped on top of the hive:
Putting the inner cover and top cover on:
Installing the second hive:
The little black squares on the corners are mite treatments, to protect the bees from a common parasite:
The hives closed up, with 2:1 sugar syrup feeders in front:
We briefly opened the older hives to add mite treatment to them, too:
Our expanded apiary: