The weather last weekend wasn’t great, and it’s going to pack in again next week, so I decided to spend some days this week on building the berry cage in the veggie garden. An advantage of being self-employed is that I can shift my time around as needed, in this case to take advantage of decent weather during the week.
I ended up doing four days (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday), which is equivalent to two weekends, so all works out. I’m working on the weekends to offset that time.
Anyway, I started by making a simple wooden stand out of scrap wood, to help support the 10′ lumber when cutting it with my table saw:
Then I continued installing the poles and roof beams, starting work in rather frosty mornings (and the highs were only around 45° F / 7° C):
Here’s a pole in a hole. The 10′ poles are about 2′ underground, 8′ above ground:
As before, I used boards and clamps to hold the poles straight:
I also added a post level, that is tied onto the pole, which is much more convenient than using a straight level, plus a string to line up the posts:
Here’s a view down a pole, showing a temporary block clamped to the pole, making it easier to position each horizontal rail board by myself:
Here’s a board resting on the block, ready to be nailed:
Another new acquisition was another stop ladder; a new 8′ one, in addition to the older 6′ one, very kindly picked up from Home Depot by Jenn. Having two ladders really saved a lot of time when measuring, positioning, and nailing two ends of a rail, and no doubt had safety benefits, not having to move a ladder as often:
The last pole:
I didn’t want to bother with covering my tools with a tarp, or carrying them individually back to the hoop house shelter at the end of each day, so I put them in one of our carts. Including keeping the air nailer compressor in the cart, which makes it easier to move around as needed, too. Here it’s all loaded up, ready to go back to the hoop house for the night (you can see the hoop house in the background):
A view of the roof beams:
Completed poles and roof beams:
Adding bottom and middle rails on the front fence:
I brought the welded wire over to check the position of the middle rail:
An extra rail on the sloped part of the fence:
Fence rails done:
A view of the front and back doorways:
Another view of the finished poles and roof beams:
Next up: adding the welded wire fencing!