The new cat house has now been completed and installed!
Where we last left the construction progress, I installed the windows, doors, and feeder.
Next, I worked on some decorative touches. Firstly I made some shutters for the windows:
But I had misgivings about them, since they’re a bit busy, and not particularly western-themed (based on pictures of old west buildings). So after trying them (without attaching):
Jenn and I decided it looked better without them:
I could always add them later if I change my mind.
I also added some decorations by the shelter entrance, including fake saloon doors, wagon wheels, and barrels (the latter two of which I got via Etsy). The barrels have a functional purpose too: they help hold the maintenance door in place:
A closer view of a wagon wheel and the barrels:
Next I added the two heating pads to the lower level of the shelter, plus a camera inside the shelter. The wires go inside the facades:
I added a power strip in the storage area of the feeder side:
The heating pads are now unplugged, since they don’t need extra warmth in these summer months, but I’ll re-connect them when it gets cooler.
All of the holes the cords go through are closed with screwed plywood panels:
Then I started adding carpeting to the floor and walls of the shelter:
The carpeting not only makes it more cozy inside, it also helps cover the wires for the heating pads. On the upper level, there are also a couple of thermal blankets, that reflect the heat of the cat:
That was the last step of the construction!
It was finally time to install it. As you may recall, I built the cat house in multiple pieces, so it could be moved from the workshop to the final location. We changed where we wanted it; originally it was going to be just below our deck, where the old shelter was. But the cats haven’t used that much of late, both because they didn’t need the heat as the weather has warmed up, and also they aren’t too keen on us and our dog Rory being nearby, as we enjoy the deck in the summer. They are still feral, after all.
So we decided to install it by our small pond. Still close enough to the house so they can pay their rent by taking care of mice etc, but hopefully far enough away to avoid crowding them. We’ll see!
Anyway, here we’ve brought over the facade and maintenance doors:
The floor, leveled and on concrete footings:
The walls, still sitting on the cart for transport:
Much appreciation to Jenn for her assistance in moving the heavy components!
The walls and roof added to the floor:
A slightly different angle:
The various components were then screwed together:
Very basic back steps; in the original location, they wouldn’t have needed steps here (since it sloped the opposite way), but now they do; I might build some nicer steps sometime, but this will do for now:
I moved the old shelter to next to the new cat house, as a hint for the cats. You can see how much more space they’ll have in their new digs:
Lastly, I moved the old feeder a little down the path. I’ll slowly move it towards the new shelter, to show the cats where it is. We’ll see how quickly they figure it out:
It’s exciting to have completed this project. Like with the chicken coop, I may have gotten a little carried away with my design… but I really like how it turned out. I started back in February this year, so it’s taken me about 5 months of part-time work. But it has been a fun hobby project.
Now I just hope that the cats approve. They may or may not move into the shelter for a while, but they’ll hopefully accept the feeder, and may enjoy the warmth of the shelter once the weather cools off.