Another few hours on the berry cage project yesterday.
Despite what I said at the end of the last post on this project, I decided to make the gates before finishing off the wire, since I suspect I might need more materials. Okay, I know I do, unless I decide to sacrifice my spare 10′ or 12′ 2x4s. I don’t need that long for the gates, and like to preserve them, since those lengths are too long to bring home in my truck, whereas I can always pick up more 8′ lumber.
Yesterday, I built the new back gate.
Here’s the assembled lumber portion, using much the same design as I used for the chicken run (though a little different):
Here’s the gate mounted, with the hinges, latch, and handle (despite what it might look like, the gate is level; the angle at the top is because the top rail and roof slopes gently):
A close-up of a hinge:
And the latch and handle:
I then added the fencing wire to it, including the chicken wire layer at the bottom (that helps keep smaller animals out):
To make it easier to open from inside, I added a wire pull cord to the latch:
The finished latch etc:
The old front door of the veggie garden is slowly disintegrating; it will be replaced with a new one like the above:
Next up: another gate!