Over the last couple of days, I took advantage of some fine weather to build another couple of gates for the berry cage project.
Firstly, the middle gate, in the new fence that divides the veggie garden:
Close-up of the bottom hinge:
The gate latch and handle:
After adding the wire:
The finished middle gate:
Then the same again for the front gate, to replace the old disintegrating one:
I also moved the dirt from the potato planters, so the chickens wouldn’t spread it all over the garden:
Surprise! I found a soil scoop buried in the dirt; I’d wondered where that had gotten to:
I dumped the dirt into the new bed; we’ll add more on top later:
I stacked some boards to make a roosting bar, so the chickens can safely get to the top of the potato planters if they want to roost there:
This morning, I opened up the small holes in the fence to let the chickens into the veggie garden. These holes had been closed with zip ties since last spring. Here’s the hole into the new run:
And the old run:
The chickens will enjoy eating the remaining vegetation, and rooting around for bugs and such. Fun for the them, and helpful for us to clean out the beds for spring planting:
I took a bunch of photos of them in the veggie garden, which I’ll post another day (probably Sunday, since tomorrow is Caturday). Stay tuned!
Next up: one last gate between the chicken run and veggie garden, that will replace those small holes, and let me get between the two more easily.