Over the weekend we installed the duck house! That seems like such a momentous milestone, I’m going to split it into two separate blog posts.
Firstly, I took the footing blocks and floor joists to the site, and determined the positions by temporarily resting the blocks on top:
I then dug out the bank of the pond a bit, repositioned the pond liner, and moved some of the rocks, to work better with the duck house:
Here’s a view from the pond cam of me wading in the pond, moving rocks. The pond is about 2 feet deep at that point, with a steep slope up to a small shelf at the edge:
Here’s the adjusted pond edge:
I then dug in the concrete footings, using the level to make the floor joists flat:
Here’s the footings & floor joists in their final position, with the footing holes filled in. There’s only about an inch of clearance between the joists and ground, as I wanted it to be as low as possible so the ramp into the pond doesn’t have to be any longer than necessary. The ramp will later be attached to the angled board at the front:
A view from across the pond:
Next, I added scraps of wire hardware cloth to help keep small animals from going under the house. It won’t stop burrowing creatures like moles, but it’ll help:
The hardware cloth was stapled onto the inside of the boards, for tidiness, and buried a bit underground:
The final footings & floor joists:
Next up: bringing over the house itself. Stay tuned!