I’ve just edited the blog posts about building the chicken coop to only be in the building category, i.e. to remove the chicken category, so the latter now only includes posts with chickens in them. I also added a chicken coop tag to those building ones. That seems more useful.
I’m also thinking about changing the way I do posts, to use a caption below each photo, instead of a description beforehand.
Back to working on the new chicken coop, in between work, garden stuff, etc.
This week I built all of the doors and windows.
Here’s the person door under construction:
These are the egg doors — double doors to access the back of the nesting boxes, which will be configured as “roll-out” boxes, where the eggs gently roll into a padded collection area, so they stay nice and clean and easy to collect:
Here’s the poop door: a hatch underneath where the roosts will be, with trays to collect the night-time poop for easier cleaning:
These are a couple of the vents on the back of the coop, temporarily clamped in place:
This is a small Lexan window that will go between the above two vents, covering the pop door controller. It needs a window as the controller has a light sensor to automatically close the door at night, and re-open it in the morning:
Here’s building the front window, that will be above the egg doors:
And the two side windows:
Finally, all of the doors and windows together, after being caulked (somewhat messily, but the paint will cover that up):