Today I did some more work on the bee shed project. As mentioned last time, I was thinking about changing my plan for the doors, from wide double doors to a more sensibly sized single door. I did decide to do that, so today built the door and adjacent wall framing.
Firstly, I tried a proof of my concept, with a couple of scrap blocks of wood and a door hinge. In this example, the left block represents the door frame, the right block is part of the door itself, with a hinge sandwiched between:
The first step was to add new 4×4 posts for the doorway, spaced 3’ apart, as a comfortable doorway width:
The posts were clamped to the existing board at the top:
A post level ensured they were straight:
The bottom of each post is buried in a hole, for bonus stability and support:
The two posts installed:
Next I added 2×6 wall boards, like with the other walls, again making them level:
The door will close upon the posts on the side, and a horizontal post at the bottom as a door sill:
Here’s the doorway and the framing for one side wall:
A closer look at the wall framing:
I also added blocks on the corners to fill that gap; like on the back wall, the corrugated panels will abut this board, to avoid exposing a gap:
A similar gap filler block on the other side:
I also added a door frame header:
Here is the final framing for the side walls and doorway:
Next time, I will build the door itself, hang the door on the hinges, and install the latch. I probably won’t have time to mount the corrugated panels to the walls and door, but that’ll be the next step after that.